How to become an Income Tax officer?: Examination, Eligibility, process
How to become an Income Tax officer?. Find full Procedure to become an Income Tax Officer. There are two ways of becoming an Income Tax officer in India. If you are a graduate below the age of 30, you can apply for the Combined Graduate Level Examination conducted by the Staff Selection Commission. If you pass the test, you can get appointed as Inspector of Income Tax under Central Board of Income Tax (Income Tax Dept. Govt.of India).
What is the scope of becoming an Income Tax Officer in India??? Find complete details for how to become Income Tax Officer like – What does an income tax officer do ?, Examination to become an ITO, Eligibility for Income Tax officer, the Selection process of Income Tax officer etc. Now you can scroll down below and check complete details regarding “How to become an Income Tax officer?”
How to become an Income Tax officer?
This is a Group ‘B’ Post and carrries a grade pay of Rs. 4600 according to VIth pay Commission. After putting at least 5 years of experience you beocme eligilbe for promotion to Income Tax Officer with on a pay scale of Rs. 9300-34800, with a grade pay of Rs. 4800 or 54,00/- This will come to more than Rs. 60000 in current scale.
What does an income tax officer do ?
An income tax officer is someone who deals with income tax matters concerning the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT). The CBDT is a department of the Central Government of India which is responsible for looking after all tax related matters.
As direct tax is one of the main incomes of the Indian government, the duties of an income tax officer include many activities.
It is the responsibility of the ITO’s to find those defaulters and bring them to the notice of the department so that they can be compelled to pay the tax dues on on their income.
To the best of my knowledge to become an income tax officer first the aspirant should enter into CBDT as Income Tax Inspector or Tax Assistant. Then they can get promotion to the designation of Income Tax Officer after qualifying the departmental examination.
Examination to become an ITO :
The Staff Selection Commission (SSC) every year conducts an entrance exam (SSC Combined Graduate Level Exam) for the recruitment of candidates in the income tax department. This goes as a series of written, oral tests and physical tests also will be carried out for the selection of the candidates. Those candidates who clear these tests will be eligible for an interview later.
1) The candidates must be at least 18 years and not more than 27 years at the time of applying for the exam.
The maximum age limit will be relaxed by 3 years for OBC candidates and 5 years for SC/ST candidates.
2) Candidate should be graduated from an university recognized by University Grant Commission. Graduation could be in any stream.
3) Physical fitness :
- a)Height : 157.5cm
- b)Chest : 81cm ,fully expanded with a minimum expansion of 5 cm
- c)Physical Test:
i)Walking:1600 meters in 15 minutes
ii)Cycling:8 Km in 30 minutes
Selection process :
1) Candidate can apply through offline or online . Application can be downloaded from SSC website https://www.ssconline.nic.in or https://ssconline2.gov.in/
Examination Name – SSC Combined Graduate Level Exam
Details of Posts of SSC Combined Graduate Level Exam
- Inspector of Income Tax (CBDT)
- Inspector- Central Excise (CBEC)
- Inspector- Preventive Officer (CBEC)
- Inspector- Examiner (CBEC)
- Divisional Accountant (Offices under CAG)
- Auditor (Offices under C&AG)
- Auditor (Offices under CGA & others)
- Accountant/ Junior Accountant (Offices under C&AG)
- Accountant/ Junior Accountant (Offices under CGA & others)
- Tax Assistant (CBDT)
- Tax Assistant (CBEC)
- Many Others
If the candidates prefer offline application procedure, then they should submit the forms at the Regional/Sub Regional offices of Staff Selection Commission after paying Rs. 100/- as Central Recruitment Fee Stamps
2) Written exam will be conducted as two tiers as stated below :
|A||Tier-1 (2 hrs )||Marks|
|General intelligence + reasoning||50|
|General English comprehension||50|
|B||Tier-2 (4 hrs )||Marks|
|English language and comprehension||200|
3) Candidates who qualify all the tests stated above will be called for a personal interview in which the interviewer tests the candidate’s mental fitness and his awareness about taxation matters and all.